Friday, March 26, 2010

I couldn't stop...

I had a feeling today that I needed to go to our local thrift store, and I was right because the entire store is 50% off. So during lunch I plundered the books section and made away with some really wonderful books. The one I am most excited to read is Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess.

It has been likened to The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I completely love, but it could be because both books are published by MTV.

With her father imprisoned, 15-year-old Meredith thinks she could live out her high-school days safely, but when he is released early for good behavior, her security is shattered. A popular youth baseball coach, her father has abused Mer as well as other boys and girls. With strict orders that he not be left alone with his daughter, he is returned to the condo complex where she and her mother live. In contrast to Mer’s terror, her mother is giddy with delight at his return, and together the reunited couple plans to conceive another child. Yet in the shadows and stillness, Mer’s nightmare begins anew. This is a gritty, terrifying novel about a father’s abuse of power and trust, and the way two different teens, Meredith and her paraplegic friend, Andy, deal with that reality. Although not explicit, the novel is honest in its telling. Admittedly sensational, Wiess’ story is a page-turner that ultimately sends a startling message of empowerment that, while improbable, is extremely satisfying.
— Frances Bradburn


So that was my super exciting lunch hour. I observed classes after lunch, Seniors where reviewing the parts of a story in preparation to begin a short story unit, and junior's were writing a persuasive essay about people who Rolling Stones Magazine consider Agents of Change. In case you were wondering, Lil' Wayne is 19 out of 100. Sad, but true.

1 comment:

  1. WOW that sounds really good! I'll have to keep an eye out for that! I'm almost done with my current book and will be needing to move on to the next!

    ReplyDelete